Cool Piñata DIY and Fun Facts
February 27, 2013
When it comes to birthday parties, I really look forward to the piñata. The excitement of the secret stock of candy and the little toys within bring out the child in me as I watch kids pouncing on the loot.
Last year, my daughter really wanted a piñata with pink and yellow roses to match her cake. After searching everywhere, I decided to make her one. It was easier than I thought and I was pretty happy with the results.
Steps to make your own Piñata:
1. Blow a large balloon and stand it on a bowl or a round container so that it does not roll around.
2. Make a quick papier-mâché paste by adding 2 parts of white glue to one part of water.
3. Tear newspapers into strips. Dip the strips in the paste and stick it on the balloon leaving a small area on the top open so that you can fill in candy and treats later.
4. Once you have one layer in place, let it dry and add another layer of the strips of newspaper.
5. After the 2 layers are completely dry and stiff, decorate the piñata to go with the party theme and colors and poke the balloon with a toothpick and pull it out. Punch 2 holes on the top where you left it open and tie a ribbon or string to hang the piñata.
6. If you prefer to pull ribbons to open the piñata instead of beating it with a stick (perfect for small homes and younger kids), tape ribbons underneath. Make sure that only one ribbon is actually tied to the base of the piñata so that it tears the paper when pulled.
7. Fill it with fun stuff and your piñata is ready for action!
While doing some research on how to make a piñata, I learnt some cool facts:
1. I always thought piñatas are from Mexico but they actually originate in China and were brought to the west by Marco Polo!
2. Legislations have been proposed in 32 states to ban piñatas. None have been passed.
3. The largest piñata was seen on November 2, 2008 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It was a donkey that was over 60 feet long, 23 feet wide and 61 feet tall. It was filled with about 8,000 pounds of candy! Yummy :-)
If you have made an interesting piñata and would like to share a picture, please email it to me and I will be very happy to showcase it here. If you have any questions, please let me know and I will help you the best I can!
Thank you and Keep Smiling!
Play a musical Slideshow DVD custom made from YOUR pictures!
Great for Weddings, Anniversaries, Birthdays and more...
Click here for Samples
More Blog Posts
Including Audio Video Picture Files in Slideshows
Popular Wedding Themes and Trends
Where to Get Your Slideshow Made
3 Simple Tips for Shooting Great Videos
How to Select Perfect Pictures for your Slideshow
Harry Potter Pumpkin for Halloween
Make Your Wedding Celebrations Pop
Unique Icy Winter Projects
Movie Night Birthday Party Ideas for Kids
Communication Etiquettes for Weddings
Reading for Elementary School Kids
Wedding Traditions From Around The World
Family Karaoke for 50th Anniversary Slideshow
Cool Pinata DIY and Fun Facts
Long Distance Valentines Day Celebrations
My 10 Favorite Holiday Family Traditions
Birthday Party Themes
Romantic Getaway in Yosemite
Sweet Sixteen Unique Celebration Ideas
5 Tips for Brides 30 Days Countdown to the Wedding
Unique Venues for Weddings
Birthday Party Evites or Invites
High School Graduation Party Planning
Planning a Beach Wedding
Fun Ideas to Celebrate Valentines Day with Kids
Welcome to the Smiling Snaps Blog